For Thanksgiving this year I was told "bring whatever you want." This left the options WIDE open. Andy & I started thinking of ideas instantly and decided on making some sort of mac & cheese. We searched for a good recipe but didn't find one that stood out...so we decided to create our own. Just one word: amazing. Here's what it included (roughly...we just sort of threw stuff together).
- Prep 1 box of whole wheat macaroni noodles (cook it up per directions)-set aside.
- Prep bacon-as many strips as you like. Baked in the oven (best way to cook bacon!) until nice and crisp and chop up. Mix in with your noodles in a casserole dish.
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped, sauteed in a sauce pan with olive oil
- melt 3 tbsp of butter
- add a tablespoon of flour to thicken
- add 1 cup of heavy cream
- add 1.5 cups skim milk
- add cheese...we used Laughing Cow blue cheese, Gruyere and white cheddar (a lot)
- melt it all together and mix into your noodles
Bake, covered, for 15 minutes or so (or until bubbling) at 350. Top with panko bread crumbs and stick under the broiler for a few minutes until golden brown.
Serve & enjoy!!!! Delicious.