Skip to main content

New Year's Eve Celebration 2011

Since we don't normally stay up very late, especially now with fatigue setting in around 7:30p...haha...we opted for a nice quiet night in, just the 2.3 of us. The evening involved cooking and games...yes, games...and fun drinks.

non-alcoholic for T
a good tasty brew for A
Bacon Wrapped Goat Cheese Stuffed Dates-
We've made these a zillion times, but they are just so good that we couldn't resist making them again. This time I read a trick online for stuffing the dates. Cut your dates length wise on one side, then stuff with the goat cheese.  This way you keep your sanity while stuffing & make less mess. We also pre bake the bacon just slightly to make it easier to wrap and allow for less cooking time on the grill (read as: you won't burn your dates). When you wrap them up with bacon the goodness stays inside. These were tossed on the grill...yum. FYI: Best we have ever made. 
pre-grilling
post-grilling/pre-eating
Olive, Caper & Caramelized Onion Baked Brie-
Saw an olive and baked brie dish from Eclectic Recipes and decided to do a very rough take on it. I wish I would have remembered the phyllo dough when I made my trip to the grocery store. This is "semi-homemade" as we used a Pillsubury crescent dough instead...as we have done in the past. We caramelized onions and mixed up some capers, green olives w/pimento and green olives stuffed w/garlic. We threw this mix on top of the brie and wrapped it all up in our crescent dough (Crescent dough is really hard to use for this recipe...we've used other doughs in the past which is a better idea. The crescent dough wanted to rip because of the perforations). FYI: The crescent dough turned out to work really well and stayed together during the baking process. The olive caper mix wasn't as salty as expected once cooked with everything else.
olive/caper mix
caramelized onions added
all wrapped up & ready to bake
nice & toasty
oh so good
and oozy

Honey Mustard Salmon-
Andy whipped up a marinade yesterday afternoon and the salmon was vacuum sealed for a few hours. The marinade was made from the following yummy ingredients, in no particular quantity and no particular order:
  • Polish mustard
  • Agave
  • Maple syrup
  • Dash of brown sugar
  • Sage & thyme
  • Salt & pepper to taste 
  • Fresh squeezed orange juice
  • Dash of malt vinegar
This went on the Weber until done. FYI: super good.

the picture doesn't do this justice

Cookie Cake Pie-
Since being pregnant Andy has promised to make me this. It was said that it would be made when I had some sort of major craving. Well, I haven't had any major cravings, so this is one of my Christmas presents from A. Our version of this was also "semi-homemade" style. It included an Oreo crust, Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough and a Duncan Hines Super Moist Chocolate Fudge cake mix, topped with whip cream (because frosting would just be "TOO MUCH"...haha).

the ingredients
the chef
layer one- Oreo crust
layer two
chocolate chip cookie dough
layer three
dark chocolate cake mix
ready to bake
baked
ready to eat 

We had extra cookie dough and cake mix and just couldn't bear to throw it away, so we made some cupcakes! oh so good also...
cookie dough added first
then some cake batter
in the oven they go-sorry no final pics for this one...
Then we played games & watched movies: 

we ended up only playing Mad Gab

Happy New Year from the Three of us! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Augie's Birth Story

So it's taken me a while to sit down and write about this. We've been adjusting to lots of new daily adventures. And every minute of it has been a blast. I can say I have no complaints! Life as new parents is great and I can only see it getting better. We're adjusting to our different sleep schedule which is really helping our mental health...haha. Andy heads  back to work on Monday next week and I can say I really will miss all of the help that he has provided Augie and I over the past three weeks. He's an amazing husband and father. So here it goes- Sunday, the 15th, we slept in, ate left over pizza for lunch, celebrated birthdays at Andy's Grandma Jeanette's...I ate something like three different kinds of cake and ice cream (and I think I went back for a second round of sweets), hung out at my parents for a bit, then came home and ate macaroni and cheese, from a box. Not our usual day of fairly healthy eating, but that's what we had. After dinner

Our Year in Review

This has been a whirlwind of a year (year and a half). Back in October 2010 we moved to our new house and before we knew it 2011 was here. I started blogging in March to chronicle our adventures for friends and family and since " Starting Out " have written 112 posts with over 5300 views. To most people who blog regularly that's probably not very many, but to me it seems like a lot! Here is just a small SAMPLE of the year we've had: Started a business,  Curious Whatnots and shown as a vendor in 5 different craft shows .  Grown a garden!  Black Thumb No More Taken on several house projects Master Bedroom Closet Made/eaten a lot of food Belgian Onion Soup & Apple Tarte Tatin Brisket Braised in Stout Eggs & Wasabi mayo Tomato & Cheddar pie Asparagus & Goat Cheese Souffle Celebrated lots of holidays/birthdays T Birthday Dinner Mother's Day Announced we are expecting the  arrival of Captain Fuzzypants

I'm Pregnant-Don't Comment on My Weight

I am now 30 weeks pregnant with my second child. I'm excited...I'm over this pregnancy though. I'm sure several of you can relate. I now have an inquisitive, adventurous and busy 2.75 year old running around. It's been a hot summer. I hate the humidity. I'm glad we are only a few days away the official start of Fall. AND I'm ready to say F you to anyone else who feels it appropriate to comment on the additional weight I have gained during this pregnancy. Augie & Me-2012 Before having Augie, I was in the best shape of my life. I exercised daily-vigorously. I ate healthy and cooked elaborate, fun meals. I had hobbies. May 2010 May 2010 This pregnancy has been harder on my body and my brain. I started 10 lbs heavier, less fit, more sleep deprived and still searching to find a balance between being a Mom, maintaining a strong relationship with Andy and being the best in my work life as possible. Team T & A-21 weeks pregnant I've