Skip to main content

01/07/11: Apple Cinnamon-Cherry Walnut Drop Scones & Smoothies!

In the summer we have smoothies almost every day for breakfast. In the winter...not so much. Instead our staple foods have been hot bran cereal or eggs & toast. The past month or so I've been pretty picky about breakfast foods and we've ended up eating a lot of dry cereal. Toasted O's mostly. Not very exciting, but I just haven't had the motivation to make our usual...and it just hasn't sounded good. Lately I've really wanted to start making smoothies again. This morning, finally, we did!

Andy & I made some scones first to go with the smoothies. The recipe is a rough version from Clean Eating Magazine a few years ago. It's fast and easy and we put our own spin on it by adding a handful of walnuts and dried cherries to the mix. Here's the recipe:

Apple Cinnamon-Cherry Walnut Drop Scones

  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • dash of sea salt
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1 cup apples (recipe called for peeling and chopping..we just threw 2 apples in the Ninja and chopped them up w/skin on...extra fiber)
  • 1 cup Greek yo
Topping
  • handful of oats mixed w/agave
Mix your dry ingredients separate from your wet ingredients. Add the wet to the dry...don't over mix. Drop a heaping tbsp of mix onto a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle on your topping. Pop in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. 
Before baking
Post baking
Andy was in charge of smoothie making this morning. Smoothies in our house don't consist of a "recipe", just ingredients. We just toss stuff in the Ninja and blend it all up. Today's smoothie was very tropical: 

Cherry, Pineapple, Banana Smoothie
  • Frozen cherries, pineapple and banana
  • Greek yogurt
  • Orange juice
  • Knudson's unsweetened cranberry juice
  • Milk (skim, soy, coconut or almond...doesn't matter which)
  • Agave



Great way to start the day! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Busy Weekend

I haven't posted anything since Saturday morning. The weekend was a blur. Saturday was our second baby shower. This one was hosted by my family for my family and some friends. I took a whopping 2 pictures...of Andy playing a game...My sister is sending me some pics and hopefully I'll have some from my Mom too...then I will post about the shower. In a nutshell it was wonderful. And I was completely exhausted after it was over. Sunday proved to be another exhausting day as my business, Curious Whatnots , had a booth at a local holiday market. Here are a few pics of the the set up for the day. We had a weird table that could be accessed from both sides so we had stuffs everywhere! I have two more shows scheduled right now, as I didn't want to overbook before the little guy arrives. Here's the upcoming schedule: Rockford Charity Market IV -Saturday, November 19th 10a-6p @ St. Rita's Wahl Hall (a portion of vendor sales will go to a charity of the

Augie's Birth Story

So it's taken me a while to sit down and write about this. We've been adjusting to lots of new daily adventures. And every minute of it has been a blast. I can say I have no complaints! Life as new parents is great and I can only see it getting better. We're adjusting to our different sleep schedule which is really helping our mental health...haha. Andy heads  back to work on Monday next week and I can say I really will miss all of the help that he has provided Augie and I over the past three weeks. He's an amazing husband and father. So here it goes- Sunday, the 15th, we slept in, ate left over pizza for lunch, celebrated birthdays at Andy's Grandma Jeanette's...I ate something like three different kinds of cake and ice cream (and I think I went back for a second round of sweets), hung out at my parents for a bit, then came home and ate macaroni and cheese, from a box. Not our usual day of fairly healthy eating, but that's what we had. After dinner

Our Year in Review

This has been a whirlwind of a year (year and a half). Back in October 2010 we moved to our new house and before we knew it 2011 was here. I started blogging in March to chronicle our adventures for friends and family and since " Starting Out " have written 112 posts with over 5300 views. To most people who blog regularly that's probably not very many, but to me it seems like a lot! Here is just a small SAMPLE of the year we've had: Started a business,  Curious Whatnots and shown as a vendor in 5 different craft shows .  Grown a garden!  Black Thumb No More Taken on several house projects Master Bedroom Closet Made/eaten a lot of food Belgian Onion Soup & Apple Tarte Tatin Brisket Braised in Stout Eggs & Wasabi mayo Tomato & Cheddar pie Asparagus & Goat Cheese Souffle Celebrated lots of holidays/birthdays T Birthday Dinner Mother's Day Announced we are expecting the  arrival of Captain Fuzzypants